A simple way to make a mini weather station for the home
To find out the weather for a day or two, you no longer have to rely on popular signs, just open the weather forecast on the Internet on a computer or smartphone. But still, it’s much more interesting to become a little predictor yourself by collecting your barometer. Watching his testimony is especially liked by children who enthusiastically learn the world around them.
In nature, animals and insects subtly feel when pressure changes, and with it the weather. This is a necessary condition for them to survive, because you need to have time to hide in time from the rain or, conversely, go for prey. The weather station works on the same principle.
What to assemble the device
It is impossible to make such a device without the necessary sensors. They can be purchased ready-made from a series of electronic constructor Arduino, and you can also any other manufacturers. So, for homemade need sensors:
- Temperature and humidity;
- Instrument scale;
- Servo drive;
- Case for the device.
This will be enough for the mini-weather station to determine air temperature, humidity and pressure. For installation, you will still need an Arduinonano microprocessor, which will control the sensors, wires and a soldering iron with solder.
To facilitate the task of measuring temperature and humidity, you can use the ready-made in-store electronic thermometer with a remote sensor. It shows the temperature with a slight error, and the humidity determines a little worse, but this is suitable for the home.
- All parts are connected according to this scheme: The sensors and microprocessor can be soldered with a mounting wire of up to 100mA.
- In order for the device to work for a long time, you can drop out the red LED that is responsible for the power button.
- At the bottom of the board is a voltage regulator, which is also not required, so one leg is simply bitten off with wire cutters.
- The barometer with a transistor is attached to the board with double tape. Depending on the battery power, the weather station will be able to work for more than 6 months.
- For the device to work, the Arduino microprocessor needs to be flashed. You can download the firmware from the official site of Arduino. To do this, you need to connect the processor to the computer, find the folder with the firmware on the website and follow the instructions.
- A printed pressure scale is glued to the weather station body. It drilled a hole for the gear servo drive.
- The drive itself is seated on superglue and filled with epoxy glue for reliability.
- The battery is connected in good weather. You need to wait four seconds and when the servo drive stops spinning, turn off the battery. Attach the arrow to the drive gear.
Principle of operation
The device works like this: when the battery is connected, the arrow jumps to the right, then for three seconds it shows the charge level, goes to zero and falls asleep. About an hour later, information is accumulated that every 10 minutes will provide information about the change in pressure.
An electronic thermometer with humidity and temperature readings can be inserted into the housing by cutting a small hole in the box under it.
The entire station is cleaned in a place protected from the sun so as not to overheat the battery. The nature of the weather is judged by the fluctuations of the arrow. If it is in the range from “-50” to “+50” on the scale divisions, then the probability of a weather change is small. The deterioration of the weather (rain or snow) should be expected if the arrow goes to "-150", and deviation in the same in the positive range promises clear and sunny weather.